Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happy to be here

Hadn't posted on this one in awhile, so here's a note I made a few weeks back...


Monday I biked along country lanes, through fields where horses, sheep, a couple llamas, three ostriches, and what sure look like deer to me were grazing while a 3-legged Doberman ran around a yard, then had lunch and dinner with a remarkable woman.
Tuesday I got up early for the return bike ride, saying hello to elderly Belgians bicycling patiently along, and stopping on my way to look at remnant train tracks, a muddy river, and commonplace local birds that look gorgeous to me.
Wednesday we are going to Mechelen, to have a special Moroccan dinner and go shopping in a big used bookstore, then are going to stop by a doctor’s office where for relatively very cheap prices I hope to get help with any vaccinations for the trip to South Africa I am hoping to take this summer.
Thursday I took the train to Antwerp, walked around for a couple hours, then had dinner with a couple of excellent new friends.
Friday we went to Antwerp, followed the free map of interesting things to see, and had an amazing meal at a Japanese restaurant.
Saturday night I went to a fashion show in a small town hall, where they gave out free chocolate Easter eggs that unexpectedly contained Pop Rocks.
Sunday afternoon I made a bird house for my girlfriend.

Okay, so I combined a couple weeks there, but as I fell asleep last night I couldn’t help but feel an immense satisfaction with the universe.  Sometimes you are going through a stressful time, and then you realize that life is just about always a stressful time.  Mistakes are made, and pain is a fact of life.  But any mistakes I’ve made, any pain suffered in my past, it all went into me being here, and that is alright with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment